Friday, February 10, 2012

Mental Health

what separates us, what makes us so different. parents who cared, who understood, who were willing to work through our weaknesses? what makes me so much better that i can call the people around me who suffer from mental illness "crazies" and leave myself out. i suffer from the same dabilitating flaws they do but i had the resources and the financial security to get treatment. i grew up in an intelligent and well educated family. i was born to parents who planned for me, who were happy when they received the news of my future arrival, who took all the steps necessary to bring me safely into this world. my mother didn't drink while i grew inside her, she didn't smoke she didn't fight, she fed me well and it shows. my father didn't beat her or blow his smoke into her face. he took her to the hospital for check ups and when i tried to come early. because of their education and their knowledge, disaster was avoided when i tried to come 4 months too early, good doctors and incredible nurses got them through it and i'm here full grown and healthy because of it.

even though i do have depression and adhd and the anxiety issues that come with them both, i've been able to make a life for myself that is healthy and growing. i had the chance to be educated and to gain experience in the real world that some will never get to glimpse. people give me a chance because i don't look damaged, i don't act crazy, you'd never know i've struggled through bits of my life and felt like i couldn't go on. but even then in my lowest of lows i've always had support, had people, afraid or not, tell me they loved me and wouldn't let me check out. why don't we all have that, who can expect people fragile and alone to act as "normal" as everyone else. it's not fair the stigma attached to mental illness, its not fair they're not given the same chances, that they're shunned and criticized because of mistakes made by the generation before.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I get horrible panic attacks (fewer now that I've been through therapy, but still), and I'm grateful that I could get therapy. I am where I am. Others don't have that, and I don't know how they manage. I have very strong views on mental health care and how it should be made more affordable and widely available.

    You might like this post:
    http://thebloggess.com/2012/01/the-fight-goes-on/

    ReplyDelete