Monday, September 14, 2015

A change of pace

Working really hard to not let this break my heart. Had to take the dogs on their first separate walks today. Ralph is just slowing down so much that it’s too hard to juggle them on leash and off leash he tends to get left behind. Instead of crying or fighting it, I’m reminding myself to enjoy the different paces. Lexi will help me burn calories and get invigorated by nature, while my walks with Ralph will remind me to slow down and smell the roses… or every smell ever in his case. This way too, neither will feel rushed or tied down, and get some one on one time with mom.

 I still find it so incredibly hard to imagine that my sweet handsome Ralphie, the same rascal who would leave us in his dust on walks on the marsh, where we would have to squint into the distance to make him out between the tufts of hay. Or who would run away from the yard as soon as you turned your head and then keep himself just out of reach as you awkwardly followed him through all the neighbours backyards. I suppose I don’t miss the frustration and anxiety of those times but seeing him so slow is hard. But his nose still works and he has an incredible joie de vivre that I envy!

No comments:

Post a Comment